Our members enjoy some of the best rowing facilities and boat fleets in Scotland.

Our boat house sits on the banks of the River Dee, with dedicated car parking, and offers rich facilities including:

  • A licensed bar with a pool table,
  • Sky Large screen TV over a bar seating area,
  • A gym equipped with rowing machines and weight lifting apparatus;
  • Secure lockers; and
  • Changing and shower facilities.

Our bar, kitchen and floor space are regularly hired for private functions. Contact us for more information about event hire.

Competitively ABC oarsmen and oarswomen have had great success at national and international level and have a strong presence at domestic events.

The club welcomes new members at all levels – from complete beginners to experienced rowers. We offer seasonal novice events for new starters and weekend social rowing for those seeking fitness in a more relaxed setting.

Please contact us if you need any further information regarding club membership. Our club volunteers will be happy to give you a tour.

Aberdeen Boat Club existed in one form or another prior to 1865, although these records are indistinct.  However, it is recorded that in 1865 Aberdeen Boat Club was formed with the purchase of four boats.  The original premises were under an arch of the Caledonian Railway beside the Ferryhill Burn, nr. Bank Street.

There was a significant peak in rowing during the mid 1870’s.  The Aberdeen Journal reports of “vast turnouts” of spectators to watch the Club’s regattas.  Dee Regattas were amongst the premier occasions for the townsfolk of Aberdeen and thousands were described as “lining the wharves and banks of the Dee to cheer the rowers as they flashed towards the winning post….”as “flags fluttered on a grandstand”.

Re-routing took the Dee away from the arches under which the club was housed, and in 1876, a new boathouse was built at Polmuir.  The building was later demolished, but the remains of the granite block jetty still exists.
After WW1, the boathouse at Polmuir had to be vacated, but two stalwarts of the club purchased the University’s boathouse in 1924 for the sum of £60, a building that still stands on the south bank of the Dee. The fortunes of the club reached a low during and after the Second World War.  Finally, with only six members, Aberdeen Boat Club was forced into abeyance in 1953 and the boathouse was sold to the University for the sum of £5. There was a short-lived revival in 1962 and by 1969 although the club was still in existence, membership was so low that rowing activity virtually ceased once again.

During the 70’s Aberdeen Boat Club was resurgent, with the first foreign venture to Lucerne Regatta in 1973.  The club gained strength with racing at the British National Championships in 1973 and the Tideway Head of the River in 1978. The most significant event in recent years was the construction of the new boathouse in 1982.  The buildings architect, Mike Rasmussen was a club member of many years and the Club won a Civic Society award for its aesthetic impact on the Torry Skyline. In 1994 the extension which added two more boat bays and further improved facilities within a matching ‘A’ frame, was opened by World Lightweight Sculling Champion – Scotland’s Peter Haining.

The Inter-Company Row developed in the mid-1980’s to raise funds and gain membership.  Since 2009 - 65% of membership has come from the Inter-Company Row, but new members are always welcome!
The above is an abbreviation taken from a History of ABC, by Stuart Pressage, former ABC captain and president.

Browse our Flickr galleries:

  Photos copyrighted © Snapper Ron (Legal policy)

Browse our Facebook page: